Cumann Seandalaiochta agus Staire Phort Lairge

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Our first outing of the summer : Portlaw.

We met at the Heritage Centre, as planned.

After Ger Crotty explained how the centre was established, he proposed to bring us on a tour of the town centre. We walked along the river Clodagh and the canal which was built to bring raw materials to the factory. In the distance, the Presbyterian and the Catholic churches.

We followed Ger Crotty and Willie Power, and tried to picture Portlaw in its glory days,as they pointed out to us landmarks, buildings, details ofarchitecture linked to the development of the factory town.

We visited the Church of the Holy Trinity built in 1851 in the Gothic Revival Style.

Back in the Heritage Centre, Ger and Willie told us more about the more recent past of the town, and we were able to look at various documents on display

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Waterford Archaeological and Historical Society, Ireland.
Website By: Deise Design