Cumann Seandalaiochta agus Staire Phort Lairge

Tuesday, October 22, 2019

A Mix of Music and History for the launch of Decies 75

It was certainly fitting to have the launch of the journal linked to a weekend of musical celebration, (John Dwyer Trad Weekend) since one of the articles concerns the 75th anniversary of the founding of Waterford Music Club, as illustrated on the cover with the photograph of the medallion of the club.

The launch kicked off with
Dr Jimmy O'Brien-Moran 
who played a few tunes on the Uilleann Pipes, 
before rushing off to another venue. 

Some of the contributors to the journal had also been invited to give a short talk related to the article they wrote.

Cian Flaherty talking about the diary of Bishop Stock, written in 1811. 

A great number was in attendance despite the heavy downpours outside.

Continuing the musical theme, Jenny Walsh played a few tunes on the fiddle

There had been great excitement in Dungarvan when excavations on a hill outside the town
 revealed multiple burials had taken place many centuries ago. 
The Gallows Hill Community Archaeology Project took place between 2015 and 2019.

Dave Pollock, archaeologist, stepping in for Christina Knight-O'Connor, gave us an insight on the work done on Gallows Hill. 

The launch was brought to a close with some more music, bringing us nicely back to the modern times

Committee member and former chaiman Sonny Condon on the harmonica 
had us humming along to The Rose.

Peigí Devlin, Hon editor, and her editorial committee:
Clíona Purcell, Shane Brown and Cian Flaherty.

Dr Elizabeth Twohig, Chair of the Waterford Music Club, 
wearing the medallion that appears on the cover of this year's journal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Waterford Archaeological and Historical Society, Ireland.
Website By: Deise Design